The Fogliardi spinning mill

In 1844 the construction of one of the first and most important cantonal steam factories designed by the architect Luigi Fontana di Muggio (1812-1877), was commissioned by Giovanni Battista Fogliardi (1791-1861), future state councillor. Just two years later the construction of the parish church of Sant'Andrea was begun. The two impressive buildings, both designed in a rigorous neoclassical style by Fontana, stood out as new visual highlights of the village.


From the adjacent Viganale river the factory drew the water that was used to heat the basins for the treatment of cocoons.


In 1862, due to the crisis caused by silkworm diseases, debts and conflicts with his son Augusto Fogliardi who was an associate in the company's management starting in 1851, the silk spinning mill was sold to Gustav Gessner, a rich Zurich trader who moved to Milan and relaunched it. In 1895 the silk factory was taken over by the Bodmer-Muralt company of Zurich and in 1915 closed its doors.


In 1957 the AMSA shirt factory was installed, which remained in operation until the nineties.


In 1962 the large chimney was partially demolished, still visible behind the eastern wing. In 2006-2009 this significant chapter of the industrial history of Melano ended with the conversion of the factory into living space.


© Comune di Melano     |     Ultimo aggiornamento della pagina: 09.10.2018     |     Visualizzazione: RegolareStampa